Saturday, May 30, 2009

Somedays I can take care of the kids and the house. Other days, it's one or the other. And once in a while, it's neither. I feel like lately I have lost my perspective and while Audrey was sleeping and Ezra was watching The Flinestones (about the only way I get sometime to myself) I layed down in the playroom. I am thankful to be able to stay home with our kids, but even so, I find it difficult to get all the things done that need doing. So I was trying to figure out what was most important to do today, and I felt like first I needed to take care of myself. I went to the kitchen, made a snack, and sat down. The Ensign came yesterday, and I read this: "When I am feeling overwhelmed with the meals to be cooked and clothes to be washed, I take comfort in knowing that when we do for others what they cannot do for themselves, we become more Christlike. Young children need a great deal of temporal care. When we recognize that nurturing our children is a spiritual endeavor, finding joy in our everyday labors becomes easier." I had a pretty good cry after I read that. It wasn't just the words, but the feeling while I read them. You know what I mean.

5 comments:

Crystyne said...

*sigh* thanks for sharing that. It is hard to rembember the importance of our jobs as mothers somedays. It's great to have these great reminders.

Erin said...

Sometimes it's hard to see caring for our children as service. Often it just feels like work to me, but it really is a service and remembering that can make the day go easier. I also think that as mom's we forget that we can't take care of our children if we don't take care of ourselves. You're a great mom Sarah! Remember that!

Sarah said...

Thanks, you guys.

Jeff, Rebekah, Chloe, and Wyatt said...

Thanks for the reminder Sarah- I definitely have days where I don't know if I'm doing a good job of mothering... I like my mom's advice- "just love them". I know I do with all my heart, so that is a great comfort to me after a tough moment or day. You are one of the most patient and gentle moms I've ever met! Have a great day, we'll have to get together after we get home from our trip!

DeAnne said...

awww, Sarah. You are not alone! And I KNOW you are an amazing mom. Good job for taking care of yourself too- it's so important! I love ya!