Claire at 5 days old.
I was working on this post yesterday when Claire turned exactly one week old.
Since time is moving so quickly, I'm going to share Claire's birth story.
I wasn't surprised when I was still pregnant on my due date since Ezra and Audrey were both born four days after their due dates. My midwife checked me Monday when I was 8 days overdue and said I was dilated to 4 cm and 70-80% effaced. I was really excited and had about 8 hours of backache and very light contractions. We tried doing some things to start labor naturally, and I was disappointed when the acupressure that started Audrey's labor didn't give me contractions. On Wednesday July 13, I had another appointment and by that time I was tired of waiting. By this time, emotionally I was at the end of my rope, just waiting for something to happen that I had no control over.

This time I was at a 5 with my bag of waters bulging, completely ready and ripe for labor. She felt confident that if she broke my water, I would go into active labor and have a baby by the end of the day. Otherwise, I would go to the hospital the next morning and we would try since I was 10 days over and had difficulty in pushing my other babies out. I called Corey and although I had wanted things to start on their own, we decided to get the party started. I checked in at the hospital a little after 1:00 pm.

Corey hadn't arrived yet when the midwife came over and broke my water at 2:30. I had been having very mild contractions for the past day and a half, but within 5 minutes, they became stronger. I called home to check to see when Corey had left, but he answered the phone! By the time he arrived, the contractions were very strong and I couldn't talk or move during them. They took me off the monitoring and Corey started a bath for me. It helped a great deal and soon the contractions were a minute and a half long and starting to double up. The doctor that Tonia, my midwife, works with, came in and wanted to check me. While I was in the tub, I felt a light urge to push and knew I needed to get out since that hospital doesn't do waterbirths. It was around this time I told Corey that I wasn't sure I wanted to do this without any drugs. I knew I was in transition and things were going very quickly, but this labor was more intense than any I had experienced with the other two.

I was at an 8 when he checked me, and a little after that, Tonia came in. The room was set up for the birth and I had terrible back pain. I found out that Claire had turned and was posterior, and the pain was a lot stronger than before. We tried some different positions which helped, and I was so surprised when I felt like I wanted to push. I never experienced that with Ezra and only slightly after they gave me Pitocin for Audrey's birth. I started pushing a little and then we changed positions again. I began pushing and was so amazed at the progress we were making. About 20 minutes later, Claire was born.

From start to finish, my active labor was 2 1/2 hours. It went fast but it was an intense ride! I am so grateful that Claire is safely here and well. This has been the fastest recovery and I'm feeling pretty good now.

After she was born, Claire made a lot of noise and I began worrying. We already have one little girl who likes the spotlight! We have really enjoyed Claire, she is a very sweet baby and easily soothed. It amazes me how she has captured our hearts so completely in such a short time.

the end.
6 comments:
wow- i didn't realize you went so long without pain meds! you are a tough cookie! your little claire is sooooo darling. she is so precious, thanks for letting me come over and visit and hold the little angel.
she is SO cute!
She is beautiful. I am glad everything is going well for you!
Sarah she is so beautiful!! You are amazing! I don't think I could have a baby naturally!
Thanks for sharing your birth story, I have been wondering but didn't want to call and bother you. Sounds like quite an event! =) Reminds me alot of Wyatt's fast and furious birth! She is adorable, Chloe and I have just been sitting here admiring her!
Congratulations! What a beautiful story.
Post a Comment