Thursday, June 16, 2011

Memorial Weekend Project

We spent our Memorial Day weekend doing more yard work. After Corey successfully killed what little grass there was, it was time to rent a roto-tiller and prepare for sod. My job was to walk beside him and help pull up the roots, rocks, and junk we found. All sorts of interesting things came out of the ground including a rusty pickaxe head and tire chains. Who buries tire chains in their yard?! We went through 23 shear pins which break and stop the rototiller when the tiller plows into something hard. While Corey finished rototilling, I began the next step which was raking the dirt smooth and level. I guess this is why it costs a lot of money to hire someone to do the job. The dirt was raked smooth but not perfectly level. Good thing I don't get hung up on the little imperfections of life, right? (Hahaha!) It was nice to have a job that I could do being very pregnant. Corey finished off the raking just in time for...
The turf man! Look at these beauties- they remind me of green Swiss Rolls. After a few days of rototilling and raking, Corey laid the sod (with a few little helpers.) We ended up having extra sod and laying it on our side yards. This has been my favorite improvement to the house so far. Now we have a backyard! This summer they can run through the sprinkler, barefoot. I can't express how happy this makes me. Now we have our garden planted, (spring comes late here) with three blueberry bushes planted next to our strawberries and rhubarb. Next up will be putting landscape fabric and bark on the border and some gravel in the parking area. Then things will be pretty well finished on the landscaping front!

2 comments:

Crystyne said...

I know what you mean! I loved going from a mud pit to an instant lawn in one day.

DougandSheilah said...

I can totally agree with you on what you can find on previously owned land. We've been in our house for 7 years and are still amazed at what comes up every time we get the garden ready or what we find just lying around. The place is looking nice. Good job guys.