Saturday, May 7, 2011

Backyard Progress

Sometimes I get so caught up in the things that need to be done that I forget about the progress we've made so far. This is a good picture that shows what part of the yard looked like when we moved in: Thanks to my father and mother-in-law who took four loads to the dump of garbage and pruned back those crazy overgrown plum trees. It has been interesting cleaning up the yard since there was a dump of a place that was torn down and then our house was built. I feel like I've come to know these former residents by cleaning up the debris under the trees- what they ate (and the silverware they used) clothes they wore, and various household implements. When Corey cleaned out the shrieking shack we found an old sewing machine (the kind that is built in to a desk) letters and cards, a wood shelf that I might have a use for, and a whole bunch of mouse poop. I seriously was watching for signs of hantavirus. Corey loaded that pile of old wood against the fence onto the trailer since I took the picture.
This is what the backyard looks now, after Corey moved a huge stack of old boards and I raked out years worth of debris under the trees. I still find broken glass here and there, but it's nice just having a CLEAN, garbage free yard.
After dragging my feet trying to figure out a landscape design, we decided to keep it simple: a border under the trees with bark and a few plants and the rest grass. Corey sprayed Round Up on the grass I was so excited about last month and we are waiting for it to die. Then it's rototilling and laying sod. I am excited beyond words to get rid of the dirt and mud!!! The kids' clothes and carpet have really taken a beating. Then it's looking into fencing and we'll call the backyard good. Until we start working on a garage....
I love how my sweet boy still brings me flowers.
This is for you, honey: So far, we have
-moved & unpacked (I count this as an accomplishment) -built the shed -stained the house -hauled the garbage from shack & yard -built a temporary wire fence to corral kids & dog -set up utilities, including propane and hooking up fireplace -put in all appliances, including a washer and dryer -built a swingset -put up mirrors over bathroom vanities, and towel rods, etc. -knobs on all closet doors, and set up the shelves in kitchen cabinets -cleaned out construction stuff from our house & the neighbor's in storage under stairs -had blinds installed To Do: -put roofing material on shed -paint kids' rooms -finish laundry room (I need some a shelf for storage) -put in sod, border, and walkway in backyard -fence -get permit for tearing down shack (in a national historic town, this is a process) -get plans for new garage -build garage I hope I can learn some patience before I drive my dear husband crazy!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, you guys are amazing. I don't know how you do it!

chelsea mckell said...

Holy schmoley, that's impressive!
And if you want to feel even better about it.... add up how much it would have cost to hire that out!