
Ezra recently informed us that he is too big for his toddler bed. We had seen this day coming because his feet touch the bottom of the bed when he slides off his pillow. I started looking online at twin size bedding when I realized this would be a great opportunity to use my newfound sewing skills.
When my sister-in-law DeAnne started quilting a few years ago, I was intrigued. I watched her love for quilting blossom and I wondered, could I ever do that? I'm not always real exact cutting and measuring things, and I didn't know how to use a sewing machine.
The local pharmacy sells fabric and sewing supplies and I was poking around when I found a pattern that looked fairly simple. Corey was kind enough to take the kids on our next shopping trip to PA while I spent an hour and a half choosing fabric.
This is what I picked out:

I was nervous about cutting the fabric and figuring out how to square the edge, but it wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. I am
loving this and can't wait to see the finished product. Sewing and making things myself is new to me and I never thought it would be so satisfying and fun. I guess this is my creative outlet and it gives me a sense of completion- which is nice since housework and child rearing is never-ending work (oops, I meant joy.)

This is what I'm going to make Audrey's quilt with since she'll move into the toddler bed, I guess. It was a little tough figuring out bedding for a girl and a boy that coordinated, I was really happy when I found the bird fabric in blues & greens and purples & pinks.
Thanks to DeAnne for patiently answering all questions at all times of the day!
4 comments:
Love the fabric you chose!
I'm in the same sewing-boat you were in a few years ago... though I doubt I'll ever get out of it! Too intimidating!
Soo Cute! I love the fabric as well! I tried doing the same thing but got too chicken to finish Sienna's bedding. My mom's VT finished it for me. It's perfect. Good Luck with yours.
So cute fabric!! I hate cutting fabric too. Daniel got me a rotary mat, blade and 30 inch straight edge cutting guide. It makes things so much easier, but I still hate doing it and usually have Daniel do it for me;-) Yay for sewing! If you are close to a JoAnne Fabrics they are selling their Simplicity patterns for $.99 next Thursday-Saturday. That's usually when I stock up!
Sarah! You are doing great! I'm fantasizing about the day when our children are grown and we can take week long trips to the beach and quilt together :) I can't wait to see it finished.
Post a Comment