Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sew Exciting

I've been interested in learning how to sew for a few years but wasn't sure if I had the patience for it. And sewing machines intimidated me. I envied people who could whip up a new outfit for their kid or make a beautiful baby quilt. A few months ago, I decided I needed a hobby and picked sewing. A lady I go to church with (who is a fantastic seamstress) agreed to give me some lessons and let me borrow a machine. I was hooked. The nightgown was my first project, I was so proud that I finished it! Then I found simple directions for making a skirt at www.vivelyonline.com/2009/02/sew-easy-little-girls-ruffle-skirt.html.
Audrey did like her skirt, just didn't like me taking her picture.
Thanks to my dad and Kathy, who gave me a wonderful (meaning easy to use) sewing machine for Christmas!
This is big time exciting for me, the first time I've sewed something (besides a pencil pouch in Home Ec) and I LOVE it! I never knew how satisfying it is to make something my child can wear.
So can I call myself a "sewer" yet? :)

4 comments:

DougandSheilah said...

Love the skirt! Think I'll make on for my little girl. Keep up the good work.

Patsfield Family Photos said...

LOL! I don't sew, but I decided to make bedding for Sienna's Crib. I don't know what I was thinking! I am pretty proud with what I've done so far.

Erin said...

I love to sew too!! I've just picked it up in that last year or so, and I love it!! It is so satisfying to make something and have it turn out so that you can tell people you made it. There's this great blog called makeitandloveit.blogspot.com that has all kinds of project ideas with step by step instructions!

Crystyne said...

Oh how I wish I had time to learn to sew. Maybe when I'm done with my kids' scrapbooks! Maybe.

Good job on the skirt, it is way cute!